When preparing for a move, knowing how to pack your belongings is easily one of the most important steps of the process. That’s why our team at Solomon & Sons Relocation Services wanted to take some time to briefly go over some great packing supplies that you can use.
Since you’ll be moving a bunch of different items, it’s worth it to know how best to protect your items through every stage of the journey. Though it may seem self-explanatory, it’s always best to be equipped with all the knowledge possible when it comes to moving the things most precious to you.
So, let’s talk about some different types of:
- Large Boxes
- Small Boxes
- Custom Boxes
Large Moving Boxes
Medium-to-large size boxes are very versatile, which is why having a lot of them is useful. When working with standard carboard boxes, be sure to stick to only lightweight items such as pillows, comforters, and blankets. Anything heavier might bust out of the bottom of the box and get damaged during the journey.
In many cases, the weight limit will be posted on moving boxes if you get them from a moving company or packing provider. On the other hand, be sure to pay close attention to what you’re putting in each box if you’re using your own materials.
In addition to regular cardboard boxes, there are a handful of specific types that are worth talking about. These include:
- Wardrobe Boxes: As the name suggests, wardrobe boxes are designed to store items of clothing that you may not want to get wrinkled while in transit. These types of boxes feature a metal rod from which you can hang your clothes.
- Electronics/TV Boxes: While these may look like regular boxes, electronics boxes have thicker walls, which can hold the weight of electronics and keep everything safe.
- Mattress Bags/Boxes: To keep your bedding from getting dirty during the journey, consider using these special bags and boxes to safely get everything to your new home.
- Picture & Mirror Boxes: These boxes are designed to transport larger mirrors and fragile picture frames. They will usually have handles to make carrying them easier.
- Extra Tall Boxes: Extra tall boxes are great for accommodating tall items like floor lamps, golf clubs, fishing poles, and more.
Small Moving Boxes
Small cardboard boxes are usually better for heavier items like books and other smaller items around the house. There is less of a chance that they will break open because you can typically support them better while carrying them.
In addition to regular small boxes, some useful types include:
- Dish Boxes: These cardboard boxes feature dividers that you can put individual dishes between, so they don’t clank together while they are being moved. These are ideal for plates, bowls, glassware, or any fragile items.
- File Boxes: If you have any personal documents that you want to keep safe during your move, file boxes are the way to go. They are specifically designed to keep any records organized.
Custom Moving Boxes
Though we’ve already touched a bit on some types of specialty boxes, many moving companies (including us!) go the extra mile to provide custom crating options wherein they use secure wooden crates that is specifically built for that item. This ensures whatever is inside will not move at all while in transit or in a storage facility.
The bottom line is be sure to ask your movers about their custom crating options!
Get in Touch with Our Local Florida Movers to Start Planning Your Move Today
As a professional long-distance moving company, Solomon & Sons knows how to move residential properties and businesses alike all across the country. That said, we have experience with proper packing techniques for all types of items. Plus, we offer a wide range of packing, moving, and storage services, including:
- Free Appointments and Moving Estimates
- Guaranteed Pricing with No Hidden Fees!
- Partial and Full-Service Packing Services
- Custom Crating and Fragile-Only Packing
- Furniture Disassembly/Assembly Services
- Short- and Long-Term Storage
- Standard Insurance Valuation
…and so much more!
Get in touch with our residential movers to learn more about our moving services or simply fill out our online form to request an appointment and get a free estimate today.
Subscribe to Solomon & Sons Relocation Services's Blog