DIY Packing Guide
At some point or another, nearly all of us will make a major move to a new location—which means that someday you’ll have to tackle the task of packing up your home! It’s no secret that moving can be expensive, so many try to cut costs with do-it-yourself packing instead of hiring a mover to get the job done.
At Solomon & Sons, we’re here to support all of our customers with every stage of the moving process, and we’ve put together seven must-know tips when you’ve decided to take the self-packing route for your relocation:
- Make a plan early so that you can get a jump on packing up non-essentials well before the big day—chances are, you’ll be surprised at how much you have to pack!
- Be selective in what you take with you. Sort your items into pack, donate, and toss piles, and remember, the more you take, the more your move will potentially cost.
- Create a packing system to avoid being overwhelmed by the task. Start with one room at a time and finish the job before you head to the next area of your home.
- Don’t skimp on packing materials! Quality boxes, wrapping, and padding makes all the difference in getting your items safely from one place to another.
- Label every box with the contents and the room that it goes to. This will make it much easier when unloading and help you to get a head start on unpacking.
- Separate out important items—including valuables, essential documents, and medications. These items are best packed and transported in your personal vehicle.
- Keep a running inventory of what you are packing and the boxes that are loaded onto the truck, especially if you are moving a long distance or overseas.
Organization and planning ahead goes a long way when you are handling the packing process for your move—and don’t forget to enlist help from family and friends as you start taking on your rooms one by one!
Let Us Do the Heavy Lifting with Expert Packing Services
You might save on costs by packing your home yourself, but your back will thank you for getting some extra help along the way. Whether you want a professional team to pack your fragile items, haul furniture, or pack-up your property from top to bottom, Solomon & Sons offers:
- Partial and Full-Service Packing Services
- Custom Crating for Fragile, Valuable Items
- Experienced and Award-Winning Packing Experts
- High-Quality Packing Materials and Furniture Protection
Hiring a skilled moving and packing team can make all the difference in the ease of your move—while saving you money in the long run by ensuring that your belongings are properly packed and transported!
To get more advice on packing options and to learn more about how we can help you, contact Solomon & Sons Relocation today for a free quote.